20 April 2011

Aquaponics Designs #1

I need to figure out what kind of Aquaponics system design suitable for me, so I've google'd quite a few of them and saved those for future references. Some are really inspiring and ingenious designs that are worth sharing with u guys.


This somewhat the simple design that I was looking for; 2 growbeds, 1 fish tank, and a pump. But I wanted an aquaponics system using hydroponic (or deep water raft) system for my vegetables.


Now this is almost perfect, except that its for indoor system rather than outdoor. It could be done without the lighting if it's to be set-up outside tho. Quite an impressive design.


A bigger aquaponics design set-up, which I assume is for commercial purposes. The interior would probably looks like:


Which is fine if I'm running a commercial-based aquaponics. But I'm trying to find something I can work with; get my hobby started, get to do the trials & errors (hopefully few errors). A bit more like the system below:


This would be ideal for a beginner like me, simple and less complex to maintain. I'm eager to start my new hobby, just waiting for the right time (and also saving up some cash to get it started). Wish me luck!




1 comment:

Mel said...

Tried the aquaponics last year. Managed to kill 15...14 (1 is still alive and happy in the pond) perch in one hit. Think they freaked out a bit when we transported them. Oops! The system we have now consists of 2 holes in the ground (ponds). One is big and holds the fish and plants, the other is about 1m x 1m and 1m deep. The water from the first pond gets pumped into the smaller one. The smaller one sits a bit higher on the hill, has an old pallet suspended at water level and lots of herbs growing through it. The fish like to breed here. This is the filter for the first pond. We dug a channel from the top to the bottom pond which the water runs down. Gives it a kind of waterfall effect and helps to aerate the water. The channel is planted with a water loving ground cover. This acts as an extra filter. The cost: about $10 in pond liner. We actually bought the cheaper ($100 for 50m) black plastic used for building houses and doubled it up. Got heaps left for further pond adventures. Under the lining we put old carpet that we found on the side of the road. Stops any sharp edges tearing the plastic. Before putting in the top pond, we had spent $300 on a good pump and a UV light to get rid of algae (don't need that anymore) So, the main expense was the filter for $300 and a bit of gusto to dig the ponds. Pretty sure you can find a cheaper filter. Good luck with it all.

Post a Comment